Part-time Transportation Dispatcher
Department: Greene County Transportation
Salary: $12.90 hr.
General Duties: Performs scheduling and communicating dispatching work. Employee may be called upon in case of disaster, either natural or man-made, to serve the citizens of Greene County. This position is a non-exempt position as required by The Fair Labor Standard Act, as amended.
High School graduate (or equivalent) or demonstrated ability to follow detailed instructions. Experience in transit dispatching, clerical and communication work. An employee in this class performs a variety of duties related to the delivery of public and human service transportation services. Such duties involve the use of a calculator, personal computer, internet-based scheduling software, main frame computer terminal, printer, fax, telephone and voice radio communication equipment. Decisions involve selecting correct funding source for passengers, assignments of appropriate vehicles to routes. The employee must exercise independent judgement and initiative n performing a variety of duties.
Considerable tact and firmness are required in meeting the general public and obtaining all necessary information from persons requesting services. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Director and is subject to review through observation of work and periodic conferences. Employee must possess valid North Carolina Drivers License and must be familiar with Greene County roads, streets and municipalities. Applicant is required to present a copy of a current driving record during the interview process and a criminal background check with be conducted. This position is subject to pre-employment, random, post-accident, and reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol testing in accordance with Federal Transportation Administration guidelines and local Greene County Transportation policy.
- Hours of work shall be flexible and determined based on the needs of the department. Normal hours and days shall be Monday through Friday with thirty minutes for lunch. This position will not exceed 20 hours per week.
- During periods of driver shortages, natural disasters, or other extreme emergencies this employee may be subject to operating non-CDL transit vehicles.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job; the employee is required to sit, and use fingers extensively to feel, touch, and handle keyboards and telephones, ability to hear and write notes of primary importance; reach with arms and hands.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
- We work in a smoke free environment.
- Must be able to lift 40 lbs.
- Receives transportation requests by phone, fax, and email.
- Schedules passengers to proper vehicles which will establish routes to operate at peak efficiency.
- Prepares driver’s work assignments and/or makes alterations to the driver’s schedules to utilize efficiencies.
- Communicates information to drivers by two-way radio and via transit specific computer software by the internet.
- Documents information from drivers into transit specific software.
- Assists in answering the phone and answering questions from the public about services offered.
- Enters passenger and vehicle information into the computer as needed.
- Notifies agencies of delays or changes in vehicle schedules.
- Operates a computer terminal to access data.
- Communicates with repair/maintenance vendors to expedite services to transit vehicles.
- Others duties as assigned by the Director.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to work under stress while keeping a pleasant attitude.
- Excellent computer skills are required and attention to detail, spelling and accurate data entry are extremely critical.
- Working knowledge of the geographical layout of Greene County as to the location of streets, roads, important buildings and other landmarks.
- Working knowledge of the operation of two-way radio equipment and related Federal Communication Commission (FCC) regulations
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Ability to receive and send emails.
- Familiar with routing software.
- Ability to receive and fill transportation requests in an orderly and cost-effective manner with minimal assistance.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to maintain computerized records and data bases in an orderly fashion and to compile data from such records for the generation of reports.
- Ability to type accurately.
- Ability to exercise good judgement in emergency situations
- Ability to speak clearly, distinctly and politely.
- Ability to deal tactfully and courteously with the general public.
Applications can be obtained on www.greenecountync.gov or at 104 Hines St. Snow Hill NC 28580 from 7am-4pm Monday -Friday.